Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Well, I'm Back Yet Again!

Apologies for going AWOL (in case anyone is still around).

And now my excuses for doing so. I caught a fever through some viral infection (that's what the doctor said) thrice within about a month. Two of those times, the Guy passed it on to me.

We had our vacation to Assam planned for January, and were leaving on Saturday the 17th. I had planned to write a nice au revoir post on Thursday or Friday. But we both got the fever about a couple of days before we were to leave on our Assam vacation. What with me being on leave the next week, I couldn't afford to call in sick, and worked through my illness. It was hard enough for me to get through my regular day's work without giving in - I had simply no energy left to take up the laptop after I got home.

Our flight was from Bombay on Saturday. I worked my regular hours on Friday, and then came home. The Guy had been working from home, and he had kept dinner ready for me. I was home for an hour before we left to take an auto to the station. I suggested checking my temperature, hardly thinking it was necessary, as I was feeling okay, though tired. It turned out my temperature was near 100.

The Guy went to find an auto but returned unsuccessful. We piled our things (including my mom's sewing machine that she wanted back) into our car, drove to the Guy's office, parked the car there and took a rickshaw to the bus stop. Our urgency had increased because we found out that the bus wasn't starting from the regular place but from somewhere a bit further.

We found a very helpful autowallah who got us there on time and helped us find our bus. The bus was supposed to start at 11, but finally started moving at midnight. It dropped us near the airport at a quarter past 2. (Fastest ride to Bombay I've ever had!)

We took a rickshaw to the airport, a mere 2-minute ride. They were cleaning the airport and refused to let us in till 3.30. Then we went in and whiled the time away. Our flight was at 10.40.
But it was a Kingfisher flight, and while the seats were close together and uncomfortable, the food and the service were excellent. We reached Guwahati feeling tired but not ill.

We had planned to go to Kaziranga, but decided the drive down would be too tiring, especially for the Guy, whose back was giving trouble. So we spent a nice relaxing week in Guwahati, attending a wedding, meeting relatives, playing with my niece, and making friends with my ten-year-old cousin who lives with my mom.

We got back on Sunday. Regular blogging is expected to resume.


Pallavi Sharma said...

Glad to see you back. Hope all kinds of fevers away and never touch for at least another year (unless you really want to call in sick ;-))! I was wanting to call and forgetting amongst the horde of things I was doing.

Praveen VS said...

nice to see u back. I was actually planning to drop u a mail seeking the reason for ur absence. You are not the only but I too could not blog regularly....

Dr. Ally Critter said...

Missed you!

Pallavi Sharma said...

I mean "fevers go away" and "never touch you." Sheeesh, I was so excited to see you back, I typed almost at the speed of thought :P

anumita said...

what a way to start a holiday... happens with me too, i have noticed. whenever i have to travel, i am at my busiest at work to the point of falling sick.
but i hope you had a great time at home. next time you have time to kill before taking a flight, come home. i live pretty close to the airport.
- anumita

Unmana said...

Pallu: Thanks a lot! And I understood the first comment perfectly well, so no problems!

Praveen: thank you. I hope I can blog regularly (at least once a week) now.

Alankrita: I'm touched!

Anumita: Thanks for the invite! Would love to avail of it sometime...

dipali said...

Missed you a lot. Checked your blog a lot. Stay well, both of you.

workhard said...

Its kinda cute how you mention "the Guy" :D

BPO work from home